January 3, 2023 The Adventure continues, Part 1

It’s been a while since I’ve done much writing other than in my journal and a few poems these past few months. I returned home at the end of August, about a month earlier than I had originally planned when I set out in April on this journey.


I feel it’s finally time to get back to telling the story, a new year has dawned and it’s time to set some intentions once again. 


It was a wonderful weekend, a chance to connect with family. As Bri said to me, it was nice to spend time getting to know each other as adults. Miles have separated us, and life challenges sometimes kept us apart. When the call to reconnect presents itself, we are the only ones who can decide how and if we want to do that in our lives. Our family will always be our family. Sometimes when there is a distance, we move on to our chosen family. These are the friends who become those siblings, mentors, care givers and receivers that we as humans long for in our lives. Not always are we able to reconcile with biological family, nor should there ever be any pressure to do so unless it’s what we desire and the other person is willing to make that reconnection. And then sometimes, we just need to keep distance or walk away.


Bri on the wake board   
In August there was a major pivot in my plans. It was pretty darn hot everywhere by that time, and I needed to head east to my camp host gig in Spokane. From Chelan, I stopped at my niece Bri’s home in Davenport, just an hour from Spokane and spent a few wonderful days with her and her son and her hubby and his daughter. We went out on their boat on the Spokane River, chilling out with a bunch of their friends. I turned down the offer to try wake boarding at the end of the day. If it had been offered earlier in the day I may have tried it, but after sitting in the river in 95 degree heat and sun, drinking beer all afternoon I didn’t think it a wise choice. I stayed in the boat and watched the kids and Bri have fun as we made our way back to shore.


It was time to head east, to the Equestrian Campground at Riverside State Park where I was to be the campground host. Ah, when good plans go awry, sometimes I need to sit down and cry. And that’s just what I did when I pulled into this hard to find, remote, empty campground. 


It was 105 degrees and the only camper there was the host that I was replacing. I was hot, tired and frustrated. The campground had no address and there were 3 different street names for where the entrance was. I pulled in and the host came out to greet me to let me know I was in the wrong place for camping, only horse campers were allowed. I told him I was the host for the next 2 months and asked him where all the campers were. He said everyone has been canceling because of the heat. Of course, who would go horseback riding in 100 degree heat? No one. Not good for the horses or the people. Then I inquired, what do you do to keep busy? Oh, we pick up pinecones, and look for errant trash. Don’t like to leave the camper unattended without other people around. Well, I’m a people person, and I want to have some people around. I do enjoy my solitary time but this wasn’t what I thought I was signing up for. 

in front of my brother's home


I sat for a while to figure out what to do about this predicament. I had a few options, the first two not being very appealing, the KOA next to I-90, or staying where I was. I decided to call my brother and see if I could park in front of his house for a few days until I figured out what to do. He said yes. So I told the other host I was leaving and landed at my brother’s about an hour later. He put out an extension cord and a water hose for me so I could get the AC running and get me and the cats cooled off.


big brother Bruce
I ended up staying 10 days there, visiting with my niece Ciara, taking care of Mom after she had a fall, and getting a couple of new tattoos. I decided that it was just time to start heading south. There wasn’t going to be anywhere cool, after being cold and wet for 2 months, now there was no relief from the heat. I could have tolerated it, but I know it was hard on the cats. 


Stay tuned for Part 2.....

Helen

Ciara

Comments

Popular Posts