January 4, 2023 the Adventure continues, Part 2

The homeward journey continues.....


I stopped for a couple of nights in McCall, Idaho just to have a respite in the mountains and trees at Ponderosa State Park on Lake Payette. 

Toby


Payette Lake, McCall



scootering along the river trail
Then I headed to Boise for a few nights staying with some friends there. It was nice they invited the cats into their home as well as me. We all had a wonderful visit, scootering around downtown, trying out a new restaurant and going to the 
Boise Dharma Center, Dzogchen Vajrayana Buddhist Center for their Sunday morning practice.
Boise River



friends in Boise










As much as I didn’t want to leave my friends, I also didn’t wish to overstay my welcome and their hospitality, so time to continue south. Spanish Fork, Utah was my next stopover on my way to Cortez. And that was too long of a drive at the pace I move, but I made it. 









Finally I arrive at McElmo Canyon just west of Cortez, Colorado where I will spend the next 5 days. Every morning Kathy and her dogs, Angus, the Anatolian Shepherd and Oona, the Cairn Terrier came to my trailer for coffee. Yes, Angus got coffee too, I think mostly for the cream that was in it.


Oona must have gained about 5 pounds while we were there because she would often sneak into the trailer and eat the cat food.




















Kathy and I went to a quilt show in Dolores, both getting some inspiration there. I helped her pull weeds outside the big hoop house, and spent time watching her water the garden. We cooked together, practiced yoga and just enjoyed each others company. 




favorite place to hike in the canyon

rest stop at Wilson Arch


Then it was time to part company as I continued my southward trek to home. I forgot how wavy the road west was as the trailer rocked and rolled, only moving about 35 mph. I wanted to spend the night at Goosenecks State Park, even though they don’t have any electricity, so no AC and it was damn hot. 






me and Ruby chillin'

I felt bad for the cats, even with the light breeze it was just so hot and of course not a lick of shade on the mesa. It was truly amazing to be out in the desert, away from light pollution, to see all the stars and to realize that I am just a speck on this planet that is a speck in the universe. 












sunrise at Goosenecks


We got an early start just after sunrise, stopping on Forrest Gump hill on the approach to Monument Valley for a photo op. 










I set Brownie up on the fog line to get her picture then a couple who were parked nearby asked if I would like them to take our picture. I thanked them and said yes, please! 



We tried to wait for the white van in the distance to disappear but they kept stopping in the middle of the road, probably taking pictures for their travel blog. 



Then we got on our way, heading to Deadhorse Ranch State Park for our last night out. Even from Goosenecks it was about a 6 hour drive for me. 


The cats got to stretch their legs before supper, then I saw a couple of skunks frolicking about 30 feet away so I herded Ruby and Toby in to the trailer to avoid an altercation. It would have been Toby looking to protect his territory even though we had only been there about an hour.  I watched the skunks for about 20 minutes as they rolled around and chased each other like a couple of kittens playing. Then they wandered off through the tall grasses. 


Next morning on our way home after a nice pancake breakfast at our favorite place, the Black Bear Diner. 
because bears have big appetites


4800 miles, 120 days, 2 months on the Oregon Coast as a lighthouse interpretive host, friends and family in Salem, Tacoma, Bellingham, Chelan, Davenport, Spokane. Winthrop Rhythm and Blues Festival, Buckley to Orting half marathon, wine tasting, tattoos. McCall, Boise, Spanish Fork, Cortez, Canyon of the Ancients. Goosenecks SP, Monument Valley, and home. 


Home to start planning for the next adventure. 2023 is going to be amazing!!

Comments

Popular Posts